Monday, May 11, 2009

The Trials of Time Trialing


This is what my backside looked like :)

Today was my first official race of the season, a time trial. You really have to just love this weather in the NW. I awoke to about 1/2 inch snow on the ground, checked the temperature and it was 31 degrees. So I decided I would drive to the course and let them cancel it for me, so I didn’t have to look like the whimp.

I brought the team tent just in case it was raining. We arrived at the course to hear word of a roll over accident down the highway…. the road was closed for them investigate and tow it away. The combination of this and the slushy / icey roads was a cause for concern for the race director. Tom said his car was slipping on the road on the way to the course. He was pulling out. Smart man! Marcus and Julian were eager as this was their first TT.

A 30 minute delay was announced so we headed to the car to crank the heat and stay warm. Kris couldn’t stop shivering. I was pretty cold too. A second delay was announced of 30 more minutes. Geesh, I could have slept in!! Finally we got on our bikes to warm up. Yes, it does help to actually raise your body temperature if you warm up. I was warm and shed my sweats and hat (kept the gloves on though).

It seams like no matter how prepared I feel like I am, it is always a rush at the end to get ready and make it to the start line. I misplaced my number (note, pin it on right away) and had to get a new one. Thank Neal He’s great! No problem there with helping the dummy ;0

I check in at the start line, then road away to do a spin up and noticed on my way back to the start line that my computer was not working. I realized after looking at my wheel that I had not switched over my magnet for the computer. I frantically looked around for someone I knew who had just finished who I could borrow one from. Nobody! I even asked (jokingly) the UBRDO guy holding my bike if he happend to have one in his pocket. Oh well, no HR monitor (low battery) and no computer. This would be interesting.

I actually focused better on this race because I did not have the “distraction” of the computers numbers. I would really had liked to get my HR average though. bummer! So good race, going only on RPE (which felt like 12 jk) I just kept pickin them off. one by one. I had one pass me, a young one :) I didn’t feel too bad. The corners were awesome, never left aero position. Oh, just remembered I threw my bottle at ne8th I need to go back and get it. I liked that one. (yes, I forgot to leave that at the start).

I ended up 4th in AG, Audry 3rd, Annette 2nd and KRis 1st. Kris won AG and overall. Nicely done. Tried to run afterward. REalized I think im pulling out of CA after the bike. Its the only smart thing to do. ( I usually don’t do the smart thing, but Im gonna try this time). I want to do well in Boise, so Im going to try to get healthy.

I didn’t realize how dirty I was until I rinsed out my knickers. They were full of dirt as was my bike which took an hour to clean. Next stop for the Cervelo…. sunny Cali. :)

Lisa

No comments: