Monday, May 11, 2009

Running with the dogs

April 16th, 2009 by Lisa Worthington

health_20081212_dogs_banner

Now that my achilles is on the mend, I have begun running again. Some may call it jogging, others “speedwalking”. If both feet are not on the ground at the same time, I’m calling it running! Having limited soft surfaces to run on, I had the great idea to kill two birds with one stone. Get my dog exercise and MYSELF at the same time. So off to the dog park we go. Running at the dog park, just Rally (my yellow lab) and myself. This has recently become my favorite new running course. It is super soft (wood chips), beautiful landscaping (well for a dog) and fun dogs to watch.

Woof.. Look at that silly human trying to run.. woof

Woof.. Look at that silly human trying to run.. woof

I have learned some amazing insight from these four legged creatures. Every single dog that runs, is happy! These dogs are actually EXCITED to be running. In fact some actually BEG for it. They will bark and bark until an object is thrown so that they can RUN for it. What is it that they know that I don’t know. I am never this happy to run. Yes, it feels good sometimes, even better afterwards when you are done. Not only the fact that you are no longer running, but the feeling of accomplishment, that your legs were able to move you faster than a walk and the internal great feeling that your muscles have after a workout. …. but Begging for it? So I put myself in the dogs shoes (paws) and think what would it take to get me THAT excited about running. Someone throwing a big gooey brownie across the room? maybe i’d outrun my kids for it, but only across the room. I picture the carrot stick (who thought of carrots? are you kidding, or was that reference for rabbits? Im confused. Maybe dangle a brownie on a stick for 8 miles …. nope, pretty sure I wouldn’t run for it.

Is it wrong to run at the dog park without a dog? I have also done this but felt a little wierd. If someone looks at me funny I just whistle and call Rally’s name as if she has just run off. Maybe I’ll just run with a tennis ball to make it look legit. :)

I really don’t know, all I know is I want what those dogs have!

Is is wrong to swim with them too?

Is is wrong to swim with them too?

Awesome reverse transition

Awesome reverse transition

2 comments:

Teresa Olson said...

oh Rally is too cute...love the picture with running shoes.. have fun! Teresa

Dogs Shoes said...

This is a wonderfully fantastic image of dog.Thank you so.. much for posting these really awesome. I simply love.

Dogs Shoes