Wednesday, October 27, 2010

8/2010 IM Canda Stephen O

Pheeew Glad that is over. Till next year.
The day started out picture perfect. The water was calm the sun was out and it
was not to warm or to cold. It was interesting watching all 2700+ competitors
getting ready to start the race. The lake was 66 degrees as we entered the
water. When the cannon sounded the chaos ensued. It was like an extreme rules
cage fight. I was only not fighting for my space in the water for a bout 10
minutes of the hour + I was in the water. About half way into the swim the wind
started to pickup and the lake got choppy. I had several mouth fulls of water
in stead of air. NOT so much fun. I caught an elbow in the mouth and have a fat
lip, oh well next year I will wear a mouth guard or learn to swim faster so I
will be in the front and not the middle of the pack. My swim split was a
respectible 1:12The swim to bike transition went smoothly. Now the long part of
the day had begun. The first 40 miles went by in a flash. I was passed by a
ton of bikers, I was thinking to my self I will see you later on the run course.
The wind was at our backs and was getting stronger by the minute. I made the
first big clime and still felt ok. Legs where starting to tire. Not a good
sigh as It was just half way. That is when the wind got tough. I struggled
keeping pace. I was in the little chain ring and was having a tough time
keeping my heart rate down. So much for a 6 hr bike, The wind just kick my
butt.(note to self MUST LIFT WEIGHTS over the winter). The second big clime was
slow and painful and I was very happy to see the top of the hill. I was lucky
to have been slow in the bike as I missed the hail storm and rain. The decent
back into town was a blast. 50 mph on little skinny bike tires is a bit scary.
By now my hamstrings where telling me it was going to be a very long run. 6:47
bike time, not great but not to bad given the weather. Now for the fun part. I
started the run and held my self to 9 min mile pace. Boy did my hamstrings
hurt. I thought to my self it is going to be a tough run. 6 miles in I was
able to find a better gear and was running well. At the turn around I knew I
was in trouble. The wheels had fallen off. I was able to keep my turnover high
but had no push left. So with my HR just high enough to keep me warm I settled
in a nice 9:45 pace and kept on trucking along. I was forced to walk up all the
hills to keep from cramping up. Yep running is fun. I was able to hold on till
the last mile and 1/2. Then the world went all kitty wampuss on me and I
started to weave all over the street. So I walked for 1/2 mile or so and was
able to trot the last mile to the finish. WOW was I glad that was over. I got
my space blanket and made for the Pizza! That was the best Pizza I have ever
eaten in my whole life. Of course I could have been made of skunk and still
would have been the best. The run time was 4:23 not a great run but respectable
considering I blew up on the bike. Again note to self WORK ON STRONGER LEG
MUSCLES!!!
My total time was 12:31:08. It was a good day and am very happy with my effort.
That being said I have a lot of work before next year.

No comments: