Wednesday, October 27, 2010

10/2008 Rich B. Portland Marathon

Just wanted to let you all know I finished the Portland Marathon yesterday and overall had a pretty good race. My finish was a bit more of a struggle than I would have hoped for but I'm glad I hung on as long as I did. In true fashion I was able to squeak in under the Boston qualifying time for my AG of 3:20:59 by a "cushion" of about 5 seconds(!)



Weather was great for running; overcast skies and dry (but kind of breezy too). I was on track to run about a 3:18. I was hoping to go through 20mi. in 2:30 which would give me 50min. to run the last 10k. I actually went through 20mi. in 2:31 something. Sure, I can do that, I would have to run slower than an 8min. pace to lose it. Somewhere around mile 22 my legs started to fade really fast. I had the energy but they just weren't turning over very quickly anymore. I got really nervous when the 3:20 pace guy who I had last seen around the halfway point passed me with about 2mi. to go. I tried to go with him but couldn't keep up. I thought for sure I was going to blow up; and didn't this pace feel slower than 8min/mi.? When I crossed the line it was over 3:21 on the clock but my watch was at 3:20:52. I didn't really confirm my time until my friends Angela and Trent checked it out online while I was headed back home. I was so relieved! I figured out my last 10k was an 8min pace.I'm looking forward to running Boston but probably not next year. One thing at a time, right?

Health,

rich

No comments: