Wednesday, October 27, 2010

6/2007 Patty's New Balance 1/2 Ironman Report

Hello Teamfastt ~

Thanks to all of the Teamfastt members for thinking of me and sending out your well wishes and congrats before and after the New Balance 1/2 Ironman in Victoria, B.C. on Sunday.

For those of you interested, I've compiled a short but hopefully sweet race summary:

Time: 5:09.59 (this 1/2 Iron is a bit short -- the swim is the same at 1.2 miles, the bike is a little short at about 50 miles and the run is 12.4 miles (20k))

Age group finish: 7th out of 50 women in the 35-39

Overall Women finish: 27 out of 226

Number of times doing this race: 2
Number of times doing the 1/2 Ironman Distance: 3

Weather: Cloudy and fairly cool. A bit choppy on the water and a slight cross wind on the bike. The sun peeked out for the run.

Swim: I felt good. It seemed long (but don't they always).

Bike: My race wheels zoomed down the hills. Unfortunately there was also lots of climbing. I started getting cramps in my quads the last 7 miles.

Run: Beautiful run around the lake twice. However, my quads were quickly turning into rocks due to severe cramping. I kept the cramps at bay but my run was a bit slower than it should have been.

The Best Part of the Race: My new tri bike felt awesome!

The Worst Part of the Race: The cramps. I also didn't get adequate sleep the two nights prior to the race. My three and one year old sons did not sleep well in the hotel. Therefore, I got 2-3 hours of sleep on Friday and about 4 hours of sleep on Saturday.

What I learned: Don't sleep in the same hotel room with your young children one-two nights prior to a race (ideally). Also, I need to work on my nutrition. Most likely I need more sodium to prevent future cramping.

What I'd bring next time: A towel to specifically wipe my face off after the swim so that my sunglasses on the bike don't fog up right away. Also, bring extra end caps for my handle bars and/or black tape. This is the second 1/2 Ironman that I've lost an end cap and risked being penalized by the officials.

Best post race food: Snicker bar and Coke

The Best of the Worst: Not getting a spot for Ironman Canada (I am on a waiting list for a possible left over spot). I am not so sure I am ready for that distance anyway.

Kathryn Klepinger also did the race. Hopefully she will share her thoughts too. If anyone would like more of the gory details I would love to share them with you. I highly recommend the race. Those Canadians know how to put on a good quality race!

For additional results and more race information you can visit:
http://www.island-multi-sports.com/Half%20Iron/NB_Half_Results_Photos.htm

Congratulations to all of you that did 5 mile lake. Teamfastt made a great show!

God bless,

Patty

No comments: