Sunday, November 8, 2009


Don't Waste Your Run....Hebrews 12:1-2


therefore, since you are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow wearly and lose heart.


Today I went to Lisa and Kris's church to hear a Hebrews 12:1 sermon. (Heb 12:1 is our team scripture.) It was a wonderful! and practical message about a favorite passage of scripture. It is very applicable to us triathletes so I thought I would share my notes....


1. Run Inspired--looking back at those wittnesses ...people who have gone on before you and pleased God. life is a trial of faith. living by faith. running this race of faith. The testimony of their lives should inspire us to action. To run well! People are not perfect, (Noah, Abraham, Moses, David) God uses people who step up to the line. The rest is History. Don't waste your run. Run well. Run inspired.


2. Run Light--Looking inside yourself evaluation and removing excess weight. everything that would hinder your best race. bitterness, unforgiveness, attitudes, the list goes on. Serious athletes wear racing flats and run faster. drop everything in your race/life that doesn't support your goal of finishing well. Things that slow you down or leave you so weary that you don't run well. What are you holding onto? what's in your heart? and Where is your life headed? 1 Peter 2:1-2 talks about pursuing rightousness.


3. Run with Direction- -looking to Jesus He is our personal trainer. He has marked the trail so we know where we are running. How did Jesus enter this race called life and how he ran the race. How he crossed the finish line. He finished strong. John 4:34 talks about "nourishment" and that food is doing the will of God for our lives. Strong athletes know they need to take in hydration and fuel along the way. Don't skip the water stations. . Spending time with God in prayer is refreshment that you need for endurance. Finally, Jesus focused on the finish line and finished strong for the "Joy set before him" . In doing this, we run to please God. We run to make God smile :)


by the way.... I have been meaning to blog about my finishing my first full ironman. I have to mention that this same Hebrews 12: 1-3 scripture was very much a part of my training and journey. It took a lot of faith for me to train for Ironman Canada 2009. What did I do to achieve that "Stacy Wingard....you are an ironman! On long rides and runs I regularly thought about my goal and "fixed my eyes". I focused on nothing else but the "the Joy of the finishline" I didn't let obstacles become "hinderances"--"not growing weary and losing heart"Even in the heat of the marathon run. 2 timothy 4:7 was my mantra...Fighting the good fight, Finishing the race, and keeping the faith. and I did it. in every way. The journey all those months of training. The day of the race. I knew God was with me every moment of that day. He was coaching me. I was doing this amazing thing with him. I trained well and according to plan. but on that day i raced from my heart. And it was truly amazing. I will say that it was my favorite distance ever!

No comments: