Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lake Stevens 70.3 - Tracy's Race Report

In triathlons, as in life, each participant has a unique story to tell even though we all run the same course. This is my story of the Lake Stevens Half-Ironman, on July 6, 2008.

Race day began with two alarms (mine and my husband's) sounding simultaneously at 4:00am Sunday morning. Ouch. Thankfully, I had gotten a relatively decent night of sleep, all things considered. But once the alarms sounded, there was no more sleeping to be had, as the race excitement immediately took over.

We were lodging at a teammate's house nearby, which was such a blessing because we didn't have to get up even earlier! So thanks to Marci for housing three Team Fastt race participants (Nikki, Stacy, and myself), plus my husband, Scott. In fact, Marci's two little boys were excited to camp out in their parents' bedroom so us triathletes could use their beds. Not to mention all the other little things they did to encourage us in our race, like provide goodie bags and oatmeal for breakfast. May God bless you all for your kindness!

After getting ready--including applying team tattoos to my arm and leg--and eating a quick breakfast, Scott and I left to catch a shuttle to the race site...only to realize I had left my two drink bottles in Marci's refrigerator at the house. Oops. Thankfully, we hadn't gotten too far, so we turned around to get them. I couldn't race without my water and energy drink.

I arrived at the transition area at about 5:30am, a half hour later than I had hoped. My good friend and teammate, Serene, was already there. We have been training together for this race for most of the year, and it turned out we were right next to each other in transition; she was #640, and I was #641. It couldn't have worked out better. We went through all the motions to get prepared physically, mentally, and spiritually. We made sure all of our tri gear was in place, we psyched each other up, and we prayed with other teammates who were also racing. We donned wetsuits, caps and goggles, and waited in line with our age group (29 & under) to enter the water. As we were waiting in line, I told Serene, "Now I can finally relax." The preparations are so mentally taxing that it makes the race seem easy. Though in all reality, I knew it wouldn't be. But I had trained hard, and was ready for the challenge of a half-ironman.

When the announcer said "Go!," we were off. I was in the middle of the huddle, and got kicked a few times, but still kept my calm. It has taken me several races to get used to the swim starts, and this was the first time I didn't have to stop and catch my breath. I felt great, and tried to focus on my swim technique (thanks to Lisa!). About halfway through, the group behind me started to catch up, easy to spot in neon pink swim caps. Several passed me, too close for comfort. I got kicked, and had to stop once or twice when swimmers passed on both sides at the same time. But I persevered, even passing a few swimmers in the groups ahead of me. I exited the 1.2-mile swim course at 40:47.

In the transition area, I had a hard time finding my bike. I counted the racks, and knew which row I was in, but somehow I passed right by my bright orange and yellow towel. I probably wasted about 15 seconds just looking for it. But I finally found it, and prepared for the long 56-mile ride ahead of me. On my way out of transition, I heard my brother, Tyson, and his girlfriend, Andrea, shout words of encouragement. It definitely made me smile. :)

So, onto the bike. I was bummed earlier in the week when I heard that they had altered the bike course just days before the race. I had practiced the course three times, and felt ready to conquer it. But then I got a little nervous once they changed it--I even had a dream that I got lost on the bike course, causing me to come in last. I did not, however, get lost, and finished the course faster than I had anticipated, in 3:11:42. (Mom, if you're reading this, you might want to skip the next sentence...). Also, according to my odometer, I got up to 46 mph! That's the fastest I've gone on my bike thus far, and I don't intend to go much faster. With that said, the bike course was hilly, technical, and fun. Rather than a flat and monotonous course, this one made me feel like I had really accomplished something afterwards.

My bike-to-run transition was much smoother than the first transition. I racked my bike, took off my gear, and put on my running shoes. Running is generally my strongest area in triathlons, but once I got started, I didn't know how I would survive 13.1 miles. But just as we must trust in God to carry us through that which is too big for us, I had to trust that my training would carry my body through the run course. And it did.

The run course consisted of two loops. I felt a little sick on the first loop, and my heart rate kept jumping up, especially when going uphill or passing someone. But after about four miles, things settled down and I fell into a good rhythm. On the second loop, I actually caught up with Serene, who wasn't feeling very well. We jogged together for a few minutes. Before I ran ahead, Serene said, "I'm praying for you!" Likewise, I prayed for her, too, and gave thanks to God for bringing such a great friend and training partner into my life. "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17). In fact, that's the best part of being on Team Fastt--we are able to encourage and build each other up.

Beginning way back in January, I had decided to memorize Hebrews 12 during my training, because I needed something to think about during the long workouts, and figured that would be a good challenge. Though I didn't get through all of it, I did memorize the first 13 verses, which I then used to help me persevere during the run course. I estimated one verse per mile, with a sprint at the end. I think it helped out a lot, not only in the race, but also in life.

Family, friends, and fans also helped me persevere through the run. It was great to run past the crowds of people and hear them cheering me on. It made me smile, even if I was in pain. In all honesty, finishing a half-ironman would not have been possible without their support. Many thanks to Scott, Tyson, Andrea, and everyone at Team Fastt!

And are you ready for my finish? My goal was 6 hours, and I finished strong at 5:59:59! What's even more amazing is that I had no idea what my time was after mile 3 in the run, because my heart rate monitor decided to reset itself. So without even knowing my time, I beat my goal by one second. Crazy.

After all that training, and after finishing my first half-ironman, I was overjoyed. Not only did I finish, but I had a great time doing it. "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it" (Hebrews 12:11--the verse I focused on at mile 11!). There is a reason for training, whether for a triathlon or for life, and reaching your goal far outweighs the pain it takes to get there.

Oh yeah, and my favorite comment from a fellow participant: Someone passing me on the run said, "I like your fish." He was talking about my temporary team tattoo on the back of my leg. :)

Congrats to all Lake Stevens HIM finishers!!

Tracy Mikula

No comments: