Tuesday, January 15, 2008

TF Meeting - What I learned




We had our January Team meeting last night. We should have known that it was going to snow. This is our second meeting that we have planned where the weather did not cooperate. Fortunately for me, I had a ride. Not that I don't enjoy swerving and sliding in the snow and ice, it is just that my car will not go in a forward direction in the stuff. I certainly did NOT want to walk up my hill at the end of the night.

Luckily Kris totally enjoys driving in these road conditions. She always has to prove that her mighty little car loves the stuff. My neighbors were probably wondering this morning what teenager was doing 360's in the cul-de-sac last night.

Kris and I thought we were totally prepared for this meeting. We were going to arrive a good 45 minutes early to set up. Her 10 minute drive to pick me up unfortunately turned into a good 45 minute drive due to those drivers who are not as confident as she is. We however made it with about 15 minutes to spare. Not much but we figured everyone else would be late as well.

So what I learned you ask? A statement that I used to live and work by, and was remind of by my husband later that night. "Piss poor planning makes for a piss poor performance." Boy did it show! I don't think I have been that flustered in a long time. Not even on a winter bike ride trying to figure out how to use the restroom while wearing those D@#n bibs! (bib shorts that is, for those of you who don't wear them, your smart. You have to take EVERYTHING yes, helmet too, off to do your business. A simple stop that could take as little as 45 seconds in a bush, and now your taking your helmet off!!!!?? can you tell how much I like bibs?)

Mistake #1 Always test out your equipment BEFORE leaving home. Or at least give it a run through when arriving. Make a note: Just because the projector light is showing on the screen does NOT mean that it is receiving input from the power point on the computer. Thanks to Kathryn for trying to fix it. Unfortunately we could not get it to work. All my efforts down the drain. And I had some pretty good pictures on there too. At least for not showing them, I was guaranteed a ride home. I just know everyone wanted to see the picture of Kris lying in bed the night after Ironman on the "how to rest" page. :)

Mistake #2 Please refer to picture above. (no, its not just a painful waxing session). Sometimes you have to shut your mouth when others are speaking. Ok, so I know Kris is the quiet one..where is that megaphone?....but when she's talking I really need to learn to shut my yap. I swear I don't even hear her over my loud conversations (maybe its the feedback in my own head, I don't know?) I appologize to her every time we speak because I am so rude and cut her off and don't let her talk. Ok, confession time, when we are working out, I am the one that can't get a word in. Seriously, she never shuts up! It's actually quite annoying. But anyway, I have come up with a plan. It involves duct tape. Need I say more?

Mistake #3 Always have a back up plan for when things don't work. How to take all those pretty words from the slides and talk about them? Ok, so all I could see was graphs in my head and could not get past it. How could I put that on a white board??? So much information running through my tiny brain and how to describe it all without boring the living daylights out of everyone.

Thank God for Rich! Ok, maybe Kris too if she would have spoken up.....or did she??? WE CAN"T HEAR YOU!!!!! Anyway Rich did a great job of explaining the whole periodization thing. Think linear. I was still on triangles, I think I was stuck in one, while he moved on to the line graph. Thanks Rich, nicely done.

Nutrition did someone say nutrition???? Up steps one of the newest members, Ben, what a great asset he is to the team. He's full of knowledge....all that mono sucrose, dextro,maltodextrin, potassium, sorbate, chain amino sugar acid talk! Nicely done! And to think I was just eating hammer gel for the great taste :) He pulled out his arsonal of nutrition, very amazing. I think he must own stock in that company.... I truely do like his approach to training though. HIRE A COACH! Let them figure it out and you just go and DO it. Whatever it is, its working for him. Again, Thanks Ben for the information.

I hope everyone came away with a head full of garbled gunk. Just kidding, hopefully it was usefull and you can use it for starting your training plans. Clarise even walked away with a Jimmie. You'll have to ask her. Jimmie is my new best friend though. He's always with me :).....yes, my husband knows about him, and he's ok with it!

I hope some of my learning experiences can help you in your next meeting or even family get together. Remember, Plan ahead, have a back up plan, and don't forget the duct tape!

Ciao - Lisa

No comments: